Consumer Unit FAQ'S | Fusebox Shop

Where should a consumer unit be placed?

The consumer unit should always be installed atleast 1350mm from the floor. This stops children being able to reach the consumer unit but still accessible to the installer or homeowner. This is the minimum height stated in part M of the building regulations.

Where should a consumer unit be placed?

Do I need to change my consumer unit?

If your consumer unit is not faulty, you do not need to replace it. However, some older units do not have an RCD – this is an essential component of the fuse box and breaks the electrical current in the case of an overload. Without it, there is a severe risk of an electrical fire, shock and potential loss of life.

Also, plastic consumer units, whilst still common up and down the country, are not considered to be as safe as the metal consumer units that are now being installed. Your plastic unit may be functioning well, but you should consider upgrading it to a metal unit if you wish to be safer.

The main reason that metal is best is that if there was an electrical fire within the unit, it would not spread as quickly if the event occurred in a plastic one. There are also now fire safety accessories you can install to help prevent the spread of fires within the consumer unit too. See below..

Envirograf Fire Safety Accessories

How often should you replace a consumer unit?

The short answer is every 10 years you should have your consumer unit checked. This might mean due to new regulations in that time you need to upgrade your consumer unit, or it may be absolutely fine!

When you replace your consumer unit, you’ll also increase the energy efficiency of your property. Not only do high performing electrical appliances benefit the environment, but they also save you money on your utility bills. A properly working consumer unit will keep all power overloads and surges under control and won’t let them affect your energy consumption and electrical appliances.

The best type of consumer unit is RCBO consumer unit. These offer you individual circuit protection and meet current building regulations. To answer this question even more specifically would be not only a RCBO consumer unit, but a Fusebox branded consumer unit too. Fusebox are the most popular brand of consumer unit within the UK and are also cost effective. This saving on price does not compromise safety either, these boards are fully compliant and have a great build quality.

What is the best type of consumer unit

Can I replace my consumer unit myself?

Unless you are a fully qualified electrician, then you should not under any circumstances try to replace your own consumer unit. It is a legal requirement that this type of electrical work is carried out by a certified professional. Beyond that, if done incorrectly, you could injure yourself or put both your family and home at risk.

How far can a consumer unit be from meter?

The meter tails between the meter position and your consumer unit should not be longer than 3 metres.

Is moving a consumer unit notifiable?

Moving or replacing a consumer unit is notifiable under part P.

Do you need planning permission to rewire?

Planning permission is not generally required for installing or replacing electrical circuits. However, if you live in a listed building you are advised to contact your local planning authority before carrying out any work.

We will be continuously adding to this page, so come back for some more knowledge if you need. If you feel you need to know more please see below links to our other articles.